Guidelines for security best practices
The overwhelming majority of shary users are trustworthy and well-meaning.
Nevertheless, please take the same common sense precautions online as you would offline.
When meeting someone for the first time, please remember to:
- Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe, bank, or shopping center.
- Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home.
- Be especially careful when sharing high value items.
- Tell a friend or family member where you’re going.
- Take your cell phone along if you have one.
- Consider having a friend accompany you.
- Trust your instincts.
Deal locally, face-to-face —follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.
- Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person. Remember Shary lets its member to only share free items.
- Beware offers involving shipping – deal with locals you can meet in person.
- Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) – anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
- Don’t accept cashier/certified checks or money orders – banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.
- Transactions are not allowed between users, or third party providers.
Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).
Who should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?
- Internet Fraud Complaint Center
- FTC Video: How to report scams to the FTC
- FTC complaint form and hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
- Consumer Sentinel/Military (for armed service members and families)
- SIIA Software and Content Piracy reporting
- New York Attorney General, Avoid Online Investment Fraud
If you are defrauded by someone you met in person, contact your local police department.
If you suspect that a Shary’s member post may be connected to a scam, please let us know at email@example.com.
Most scams attempts involve one or more of the following:
- Email or text from someone that is not local to your area.
- Vague initial inquiry, e.g. asking about “the item.” Poor grammar/spelling.
- Western Union, Money Gram, cashier check, money order, paypal, shipping, escrow service, or a “guarantee.”
- Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face to complete the transaction.
Users must comply with all applicable laws, the Shary Terms & Conditions, and all posted site rules.
Here is a partial list of goods, services, and content prohibited on Shary:
- weapons; firearms/guns and components; BB/pellet, stun, and spear guns; etc
ammunition, clips, cartridges, reloading materials, gunpowder, fireworks, explosives
- Recalled Items, hazardous materials; body parts/fluids; un-sanitized bedding/clothing;
- Prescription drugs, medical devices; controlled substances and related items
- alcohol or tobacco; unpackaged or adulterated food or cosmetics
- child pornography; bestiality; offers or solicitation of illegal prostitution
- Pet sales (re-homing with small adoption fee ok), animal parts, stud service
- Endangered, imperiled and/or protected species and any parts thereof, e.g. ivory
- False, misleading, deceptive, or fraudulent content; bait and switch; keyword spam
- Offensive, obscene, defamatory, threatening, or malicious postings or email
- Anyone’s personal, identifying, confidential or proprietary information
- Food stamps, WIC vouchers, SNAP or WIC goods, governmental assistance
- Stolen property, property with serial number removed/altered, burglary tools, etc.
- ID cards, licenses, police insignia, government documents, birth certificates, etc.
- US military items not demilitarized in accord with Defense Department policy
- counterfeit, replica, or pirated items; tickets or gift cards that restrict transfer
- lottery or raffle tickets, sweepstakes entries, slot machines, gambling items/li>
- spam; miscategorized, overposted, cross-posted, or nonlocal content
- postings or email the primary purpose of which is to drive traffic to a website
- postings or email offering, promoting, or linking to unsolicited products or services
- affiliate marketing; network, or multi-level marketing; pyramid schemes
- Any good, service, or content that violates the law or legal rights of others
Please don’t use Shary for these purposes, and flag (by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org) anyone else you see doing so.
Thanks for helping keep Shary safe and useful for everyone.
How to check if your item has been recalled.
Please be sure items are safe to use and legal to sell.
Consumer Product Safety Commission (cpsc.gov)
Reseller’s Guide to Selling Safer Products